Monday, January 12, 2009

Recovery

Lexx is in "recovery mode" from his neuter on Thursday.

After having to stay at the vet all day friday because he was still bleeding a small amount, and getting to hang out in the vets OFFICE because everyone knows that he hates to be crated at the vet, he seems to be doing quite well.

The amount of bruising and swelling is completely ridiculous, it definitely doesn't LOOK like he was neutered at all, and the poor boy is black and blue. He is being quite gracious about allowing mommy to ice his private areas though.

The two behavioural changes that i've noticed so far? He doesn't pee as much ( though this could be because it is uncomfortable to do so due to the swelling) and he doesn't want to EAT as much. NO hyper trying to kill mommy for his food bowl, he just waits patiently until i put it down. This morning I actually had to shake it around to get him to finish it because his meds were on there.

The eating change could also be a result of him having to "remain calm" in order to recover. Poor dog... three days of nothing but a short on leash walk down the block and on leash pee times... in between couch sleeping. He's starting to wonder why the hell he isn't getting to go on his runs... but he's being moderately well behaved considering.

I don't think we're going to make it to training tomorrow, which is disappointing because I was really looking forward to it, but he's just SO swollen, there is no way i can justify pushing his bum down to get those perfect tuck sits. Maybe without testicles he'll be more apt to do them right eventually...

I think tomorrow I will attend class dog-free so that at least I know whats going on.

1 comment:

M.T. said...

It's funny when you mentioned that he looks like he hasn't been neutered at all ... i remember thinking the same way when Dante was done for the first week or so.

Good idea to go to class without Lexx for tomorrow -- bummer that Lexx can't be there with you, but at least you'll pick up some good tips and get to observe the other handlers working their dogs!