Monday, April 20, 2009

Bloat Scare

So... apparently when it rains it pours..

Last night lexx went to bed a ok.. around 12:30 he woke up coughing and gagging, like he was trying to throw up. He got up and started to pace, mildly panicked. Of course I was up in a flash, what the hell is wrong with my dog NOW. I take him outside and all he wants to do is eat grass, he's literally hauling me to grass. Still gagging.

I listen to his stomach, its gurgling, and he doesn't look swollen... but when I touch his abdomen he grumbles...lexx never grumbles...so.. I call the emergency vet. Just as we walk out the door, he pukes up a whole bunch of grass and some kibbles.

1 in the morning, we're sitting at the emergency vet because I'm terrified that he has bloat. 325$ and an xray later, the vet says he has some gas, but nothing horrible, but that i was TOTALLY right for bringing him in. He congratulated us on being so vigilant. Now I have a funky x ray showing his tubing ( which for the record I think is bunched up... which means MORE surgery) but very cool!

The poor vet and tech, they were trying to get him to lay down on his right side for the ray and when the girl went to replace my hands, she kept trying to push down on his neck. NO NO NO i'd say, NO touching there! NOOOO!

I think to myself every day how lucky I am that lexx trusts me. I lifted him up onto the table and said lexxington.. down boy. and he downs. then i say ok boy, over on your side ( and point my gun fingers at him) and ROLLLL onto his side he goes. He kept getting upset when i went to leave and I finally leaned over him and said.

Lexx, you're ok. mom is here. stay still. And he did. still.
They were impressed.

Needless to say, the rest of the night SUCKED. He kept getting up and pacing, wouldnt settle for long. I think from all the gagging and the throwing up his throat is bothering him. He'd sleep for 30 minutes, then his throat would start to kinda.. well he'd swallow a lot. Then he'd cough and get up and pace for a minute, then he'd curl back up on me.

In the middle of the night I got so irritated ( and was still WIDE awake) so we went for a walk down the street, he peed, it was raining. When we got back he literally RAN to the bed and curled up. DONT MAKE ME GO OUT AGAIN MOM! I'LL BE GOOD!

I'm exhausted. I didn't sleep more than 30 minutes all night.

1 comment:

Nature Girl said...

What next???? You are being given a long run for your money! Glad he is ok! We had a scare with Petey the other night too. He decided to grab a Chinese chicken on a stick, off of hubby's plate and gobbled it down. We were so scared he swallowed the stick whole and the pointy end would pierce his insides, hubby felt so bad he stayed up all night with him!