Saturday, March 14, 2009

Barn fun and role model

Its a saturday, and Saturday means ONE thing to dogs...more specifically dobermans.. it means MOMMY is HOME! ( please note that I am currently writing this from work, because as much as I wish that Lexx was right, I often work all weekend...sigh...)

Anyways, morning started with kyle dropping me off at the barn with the Lexxball for a good walk through the woods. Since Charlie is still "off" all he's allowed to do is walk... which when around a ring is incredibly "I want to nail my hand to my eyeball" boring... but through the woods on a decently sunny, warmish morning its pretty fantastic.

Lexx proceeded through his regular "i'm at the barn" routine which includes a great deal of zoomies, a few "just because I CAN" barks at Charlie and a lot of sniffing and bouncing at the pure joy of being outside somewhere fun.

The walk proceeded to go well, 45 minutes of wandering aimlessly through trails watching the sun come up fully and enjoying the fact that Lexx has finally learned to bounce everywhere BUT under Charlie's feet.

Return to the barn showed that some other people had decided to come out too and the work was getting done. Spent awhile discussing Lexx's prognosis with my barn owner ( who i ADORE) and watched Lexx attempt to inspire the TERRIBLY obese lab belonging to a lady who rents several stalls to play.

30 minutes later another friend showed up...a small fluffy poodle like thing? I don't know what breed he really is, but he's terribly cute. After YELPING and running away at the mere sight of lexx ( to which lexx ran to me and said I SWEAR I DIDNT DO ANYTHING MOM!!!!) Fluffy dog, Wiley the fat lab and Lexxball started a fantastic play session.

In my words it was something like this:

fluffy dog: chase me! chase me! bark bark bark! Look how quick and agile i am! chase chase chase!
Lexx: no prob little dog, i'm bigger and faster than you ( and look much more handsome doing it...) I'll chase you lets go!!
Wiley: guuyyysss slloooww doowwwnnn pant pant pant.. tooo fat...cannooott runnn..dammmmnnn

Poor Wiley is only 2... and his owner REFUSES to believe me that he's fat. The poor dog is pretty much a large rectangle and can't even begin to keep up with lexx in speed or distance...its just so sad because he's a sweet dog.

Kyle picked us up 2 hours later and Lexx PASSED out in the back of the truck. Kyle bought a new blackberry and Lexx came in to the Bell store while we were deciding. He wandered in, platzed at my feet and waited patiently for us to be finished. Several customers and the staff commented on how AMAZINGLY behaved he was. One man and his daughter kept saying, wow what a nice dog. Look at the beautiful dog. Lexx, of course, was proud.

Proceeded to the pet store for Lexxball kibbles and helped a guy pick a collar for his new 8 month old lab cross... he wasn't sure on size so lexx played model and we approximated. We then discussed training etc and he asked his kids, " do you think our dog will EVER be so calm and well behaved as this one?" good boy lexx. He got a new tuffy turtle as a reward. ( i have a compulsion and should NEVER be allowed in pet stores...

Home time brough a passed out Lexx in the sun on the couch.. I broke his heart leaving to go to work ( wish I wasn't here too) but he's so exhausted, he'll probably just sleep anyways.

I'm so proud of my boy, he's such a lovable role model

1 comment:

TabLVT said...

Sounds like he had a blast. That's too bad about the fat lab. I think its animal abuse for owners to allow their pets to get morbidly obese like that.

That's cool he got to go in the store with you! I'm too chicken to bring Red into places that I'm not positive that they allow dogs. Because I know if they told me "no", I would assume its because he's a Doberman and I'd get defensive and pissed off. lol