I stand outside a store waiting patiently with my favourite friend by my side. Half of the people who pass by act like he might suddenly turn rabid and attack them, the other half approaches to ask if he would like to be patted.
Some tell me stories of dobermans they've had in the past, or known through a friend. About how friendly and fantastic they are as they enjoy Lexx's attention and remember. Some comment that he's so much NICER than this dog they once knew, or WOW look at his tail go, what a good boy!
Some roll down their car windows and yell "Nice dog!" "beautiful animal" "wow what a dog!"
Some come over with caution, full of questions about the breed. The inevitable question " have you had any problems with him?"....
have I had any problems?.... My standard answer is, dobermans are a breed with a lot of health issues, you have to be careful where you get one ... I do the reputable breeder or rescue speech... and I casually mention that I HAVE had some problems but nothing breed specific and he's the best dog in the world, accentuating how friendly and personable he is.
best dog in the world. I have had nothing but problems, and still, every doberman I see I swoon over, I ask to talk to, I stare out the car window at. Every dobe pup picture melts my heart, every successful rescue brightens my day and every horror story makes me cry.
Have I had any problems? Sure, We've had problems... but you know what.. I still cannot imagine owning any other type of dog. I cannot imagine a better companion, or a better best friend.
that.. that is faith in the breed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment