Kyle is away at a conference for 2 days so its just Lexxball and I. I used to hate the thought of coming home when Kyle was away, the house is so big and noisy and there are so many big dark windows that look out into the big, dark, scary night. I know, I'm a wimp, but I've never liked being alone at night, and this property is so big, it just accentuates my fears.
Now I have Lexx to keep me company. He knows when I'm nervous and sticks right by my side ALL night.
I went to work super early on monday so that I could be home early to hang out with Lexx. We started by going to the barn to visit poor broken Charlie. I rarely take Lexx to the barn, he's just so jumpy and hyper and is CONVINCED that horses are huge puppies and want to PLAY PLAY PLAY. I couldn't stomach the thought of leaving him at home alone though, so along he came.
When I arrived, I noticed that fellow horse owner, Dawn, was already there, her black truck waiting patiently for her return. Dawn used to be owned by a female black and tan dobe who died recently and tragically of DCM. She now has two new dogs, black labs one female and one intact male who is about a year old.
I wasn't overly happy to see them there, Lexx hasn't been around any intact males since his neuter and a dog fight is ALL I need right now. However, Lexx was a perfect gentlemen and they all played really nicely under CLOSE supervision from me. He only threw in a few doberstyle mouth snaps and grumbles before I told him to behave and mind his manners.
We then went for a walk in the woods, Lexx, Charlie and I. Charlie on a lead rope came along like a dog with Lexx bounding along the trail with not a care in the world about the freezing cold wind and hard ground. Its so nice to see him like that, sometimes its weeks between days when I get to see the bouncy, carefree dobe that I so love. So along we went until I couldn't feel my hands of my face. I'm sure that Charlie appreciated the air and the nice walk, not so sure about the bouncy brother, but Lexx was on his best behaviour ( for once)
Then it was home time Dinner for puppy and I and some cuddling on the couch. Lexx PASSED out after his barn adventure and snored the night away on the couch.
When it came time for bed, I couldn't imagine the idea of putting Lexx in his crate... how is he supposed to protect his mom from the scary dark if he's in a cage? So I folded... for the first time EVER in the time I have had this little puppy ball and he came to sleep in bed.
It took him 15 minutes or so to settle, though I can't blame him since he's only been upstairs a handful of times in his life...he eventually snuggled in beside me and made me feel a whole lot safer. I knew that if something went wrong he'd alert me, and there we slept, cuddled up for the entire night. I have to admit, it was nice having him there... but... we'd DEFINITELY require a king sized bed if it were to become a regular thing. My "little" doberman seems a lot bigger when he's taking up half the queen sized bed!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment